We love sharing our home with our pets. But did you know there are items lying around our home that might be toxic to our pets?
Here is a list of the most common:
- Easter and Stargazer Lilies: So fragrant but so toxic to cats. Just 2-3 petals ingested can lead to severe consequences. In cats they can lead to vomiting, lack of appetite, lethargy, kidney failure and in extreme cases, even death.
- Prescription medicines: Thank goodness the safety caps on our prescription medicines that keep them safe from prying little hands. But please make sure you keep them away from dogs who and cats who like to chew as they wrestle it open if determined.
- Over the counter medicine: Something as simple as aspirin, cold medicine, or diet pills can be very toxic to animals. Just one acetaminophen like Tylenol can damage red blood cells in cats.
- Household cleaners: Keep household cleaning products and house paint that may accidentally be ingested away from animals.
- Chocolate: Not all foods are created equal. While you might enjoy your yummy dessert….it’s actually dangerous to your pet. Chocolate makes up 6% of the call volume into the ASPCA poison control hotline. This is one thing you should not share!
- String, yarn, rubber bands: Common items that are small can easily be swallowed by your pet. Things like rubber bands that holds your newspaper together, leftover string or yarn from a craft project. If swallowed by your dog or cat, it can get caught in the stomach and get twisted, creating blockages in the intestine.
- Small toys: Just as small pieces can be a choking hazard for children 3 and under, the same rule also applies to our pets. The squeaker in the pet toys, lego pieces, marbles, and any other movable parts can be tempting for our pets to play with and eat.
- Pennies: We used to keep change in a small bowl on the counter by our front door with our keys. Once in a while, we would knock the bowl and it would land on the floor. Not anymore. Did you know that the common penny can be harmful for pets if swallowed in huge amounts? Look for pennies minted after 1982, which contains amounts of zinc under the copper plating. You can read more about it here.
- Food scraps: Keep a lid on the garbage. Common leftovers like chicken bones, might shatter if chomped on. Other things like garlic and coffee grounds are also harmful. Here is a full list of potentially poisonous foods for pets.
- Grapes and raisins: who would think that these benign foods are harmful when uncooked to both cats and dogs. It’s important to watch out in home with children as they are easily dropped on the floor and could end up as a dangerous snack for your pet. They can be easily overlooked in foods like cereals, baked goods and other snacks too, so be sure to check the label.This is a very short list. As we are barely skimming the surface, please check the pet poison helpline for more information.
Let’s keep our pets safe. If you have other items to add, feel free to post in the comments.