Does Fido Need to Lose a Few Pounds? 10 Ways to Help Your Pet Lose Extra Weight
Pet obesity is one of the major problems of pet ownership, especially if you like to spoil your little fur baby. If your pet is suffering from pet obesity there are ways you can help take the leash and get him back to a healthy size.
- Calorie Counting: Just like with humans you can count calories. Yes, you read that correctly. You can count your pet’s calories to make sure you are not over or under feeding them. Here is a link to calories per some of the dry kibble that is out there.
- Proportioned Meals: Sometimes all you need to do to help your pet fight pet obesity is to measure their food. Find out how much they are really supposed to eat per meal and measure it out each time so that you do not give them too much. Here is a link to a dog food calculator: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-feeding-tips/dog-food-calculator/
- Healthy Treats: You can find healthy treats for your pet. If you normally spoil your pet with lots of yummy treats, remember to buy the healthier treats and then break them up into several smaller pieces so that a little will go a long way. Make sure to not over treat them as your pet’s calories can stack up quick.
- Sub Some Veggies: If you do not have healthy treats for pets and cannot find them, look into what veggies your pet can eat and give that to them. Veggies are a great alternative. We love peas and celery at our house.
- Exercise: Make sure your pet is able to get the exercise he needs to keep a healthy weight. Depending on the type of pet you have and the size, you will need to do a little research to make sure you are giving your pet the proper amount of exercise he needs per day.
- Supplementation: Did you know you can give your pet supplements? Not every supplement is good for pets of course, but you can give him something like Omega 3 fatty acid supplements. The healthy oils will offer great benefits to your pet.
- Low Carb Diet: Yes, your pet can be grain free and paleo too. Low carbs are so much healthier for them. Check out the food label and make sure you have the right food product for your pet.
- No Human Food: Stop feeding your pet scraps and horrible human food that can hurt your pet in the first place. Keep his diet healthy.
- Scheduled Meals: Make sure not to just feed your pet any time he wants it. Put him on a feeding schedule and stick to it. This includes snack time.
- More Feeding, Smaller Portions: To help boost your pet’s metabolism try feeding your pet more often, but make sure the meals are smaller.
If you are trying to help your pet weigh less then try one or more of these suggestions to help you get your pet’s weight back under control. Here’s to a healthy 2016!