In researching a few weeks ago about common household items that are toxic to pets, I came across a few more that are not good for dogs. Some I knew about like grapes—but others were new discoveries, like Sago Palm and the common tomato. (I had no idea Carnations were on the list too! Definitely to good to watch out for next time I am at the florist)
This house plant is usually used for its popular for its medicinal qualities; it is surprising to note that it one of the toxic plants for dogs. The active toxin in Aloe Vera is referred to as saponin. Symptoms to watch out for include diarrhea, vomiting, and tremors.
Grapes usually cause toxic reactions when ingested by dogs in small or large servings. Large servings can even result in kidney failure. Even though the specific toxin responsible for such reactions is unknown, it s important for pet owners to keep dogs away from grape vines around the home and any food made with grapes.
The ASPCA lists a variety of Lilly plants among the most toxic plants for dogs. These include amaryllis, autumn crocus, giant Dracaena and peace lily among others are deemed highly dangerous to dogs.
This is a fairly popular household plant that produces seed pods, which look quite attractive to dogs. The entire plant including the seed pods contain a very dangerous toxin referred to as cycasin. Ingesting any part of the plant results in fatal toxicity and any affected pet should be attended to as soon as possible.
Being among the most toxic plants for dogs, it is known to cause hallucinations when ingested. Some of the other symptoms to look out for include tremors, ataxia, agitation, gastrointestinal upsets and agitation as well.
Growing your own tomatoes can be great for your health but not some much for your pet dog. Ingesting tomato plants is not severely toxic top dogs but results in a lot of discomfort. Some of the symptoms to expect include excess production of saliva, gastrointestinal upset, drowsiness, confusion, weakness and slow heart rate among others.
Although being among the mildly toxic plants for dogs, it is still worth noting. Symptoms to look out for include dermatitis and gastrointestinal signs.
Although not all mushrooms are toxic, dogs don’t have the ability to discern between toxic and non toxic varieties. These result in serious symptoms including swelling in the brain as well as vomiting.
This common household plant is also referred to as rhododendron. It is one of the toxic plants for dogs and cats as well when ingested. When ingested some of the signs to look out for include excessive drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, muscle weakness and even death in severe cases.
English ivy contains a toxin referred to as triterpanoidsaponin. This toxin, although not always toxic, some saponins are usually harmful to dogs. When ingested, the toxin causes mouth and gastrointestinal irritation. Symptoms to look out for include vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea as well as the production of excessive saliva.
Let us know if you are aware of any others we missed…….