Even though the holiday can be such a busy time, it is important to still keep a close eye on your beloved furry friend. There’s so much holiday food, plants, and other items to decorate your home with, which is why it is important to identify which ones may be harmful for your pets. Some of this you may already know and practice, and it is always a good reminder to go over this with your loved ones, especially if you have little ones in your household. To ensure holiday cheer this season rather than a heartbreaking one, steer clear of these items:
If you have your own kids or are hosting some friends with little ones, it is important to remind them to never feed your pets any chocolates. Not only is chocolate toxic to dogs, even the smallest amounts can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
When pets dig into the candy and sweets bowl, they don’t usually take the time to unwrap the treats first. Clear plastic, as well as foil wrappers, present a health hazard since they may cause blockage in the intestinal tract and even irritate the lining of the gastrointestinal path. It might be a good idea for pets and kids alike to put bowls of sweets out of easy reach.
- Food scraps and left over
Remember to clear the table when you are done eating. My two dogs patrol the kitchen the moment the turkey is in the oven looking for scraps. As much as they would love a taste, I have to remind myself to say no. Fattening scraps can cause disrupted stomachs, diarrhea, vomiting, and never mind extra calories they don’t need.
- Fruits and vegetables
Don’t forget that common food items such as grapes, raisins, onions, garlic, and shallots are some of the fruits and vegetables are toxic to cats or dogs.
While we humans can use extra shots of espresso during the holiday season, our pets don’t do well with caffeine. Pets are prone to suffer from increased thirst, restlessness and palpitations if they take caffeine-containing items, so keep that mug of coffee or tea out of easy reach. (This goes for alcohol too. Remind me to tell you the story about the hot toddy by the fire and the drunk dachshund sometime)
Presents are so much fun to open on holidays! But remember to pick up papers, wrappers, and the odd bits of ribbon to put in the recycling bin when you are done. When swallowed, these are much more dangerous to your pet’s intestinal tracts. Keep holiday ribbons and gift wrappers out of your dog’s reach so they won’t chew on these toxic materials.
- Decorative items
Small trinkets can be a choking hazard to your pets. Some can even cause intestine twisting, and you certainly won’t want your pet to undergo any surgery especially during this time of the year. Make sure to place your holiday decor out of your pets’ reach.
- Candles and light installations
‘Tis the season to decorate the home with sparkly lights and other decorations but make sure you keep the cords tucked away properly. Electric shock may occur when a pet chomps down on an electrical wire thinking it makes a good chew toy. Candles are nice to have, but be careful not to leave them unattended.
While this plant seems nice to complete the look of your home, be sure to keep them out of your pet’s reach. The berries and leaves are low in toxicity but could lead to vomiting and diarrhea.
While your furry friend can stand under it and get a kiss, this is one of the most harmful plants, which pets must never get their paws on. They lead to vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, and difficulty to breath, unstable behavior and even death.
Wishing you and your pets a safe and happy holiday as 2015 near its end!