Our pets are our loyal companions. Studies show that like us, they have feelings too. These are some common sense things you probably already know, but a refresher is always a good idea. If they could speak, here’s what your pet might say to you.
- Please don’t hit me or throw me even if I misbehave. Cognitive studies show that unless you catch your dog in the act of dipping her paw into the dog biscuit jar, or your cat peeing on your bed, it is unlikely they are going to connect the dots that they have done something wrong. What we may interpret as understanding could actually hurt more than help them behave. Here is some scientific data that explains this further.
- Please don’t leave me alone in a parked car. Laws prevents parents from leaving their young child in a car. I wish the same would be for pets. It’s not safe to leave your pet in a parked car, especially in warm weather. It may seem cool at the time, but temperatures can be much higher inside with the windows rolled up. If you must leave your dog in the car for a moment, open two windows so they get a cross breeze and don’t overheat.
- Please don’t chain me up outside. Dogs are pack animals. Left outside in freezing weather or tethered to chains to protect property can damage their spirit and their souls. It can also cause deep psychological damage. If these photos don’t say 1000 words, I don’t know what will.
- Please clean my litter box. Um, imagine if you had to go to the bathroom in the same place for an entire week without flushing. Need we say more?
- Please clean my teeth. Good oral hygiene is important for both cats and dogs. Plaque build up and/or tartar can turn into tooth decay and gum disease. Because they can’t speak up to let you know they are hurting, be sure to visit the “dentist” annually to make sure their teeth and gums are in good health.
Do you have anything else to contribute? Love to know so leave a comment below.