In our quest for keeping our pets healthy, we’ve rounded up some of our favorite books on the topic. Below are five we love and we hope you will too. We’ve tried to keep the selection well rounded on different health topics from modifying behavior to cooking for our pets.
1. Think Like a Cat: How to Raise a Well-Adjusted Cat–Not a Sour Puss by Pam Johnson-Bennet – This is the best selling feline behavior bible. Pam Johnson-Bennett as the authority and pioneer on all things feline. In this updated version, Pam introduces methods on helping cats get along, how to play with your pet, different lessons on nutrition and ways to tackle the dreaded litter box problems. This book is full of great information for new and seasoned cat owners alike.
2. Cesar’s Way by Cesar Millan and Melissa Jo Peltier: This book is excellent both for pet parents that want to strengthen an already positive relationship, those that are starting from scratch with a new pet, or those that have a negative relationship and want to improve it. It covers dog psychology, guiding the owner to a regimen of exercise, modifying dogs behavior (and cats behavior) and affection, which ensures the dog knows who’s in charge and lives a healthy, happy life.
3. The Complete Healthy Dog Handbook: The Definitive Guide to Keeping Your Pet Happy, Healthy & Active– by Betsy Brevitz DVM Written by a veterinarian who makes information easy to digest, this is the bible of dog care, according to the AKC gazette. Devoted to dog owners, this has over 100 illustrations, diagrams and covers the gamut from puppy care, vaccinations, training, to senior dog care. Spanning a pet’s much loved life, it is an awesome reference.
4. Veterinarians Guide to Natural Remedies for Dogs: Safe and Effective Alternative Treatments and Healing Techniques from the Nations Top Holistic Veterinarians By Martin Zucker – This is a great introduction to healthy healing products and alternative treatments for your dog. By simply changing up different herbs, food, and vitamins, you can help shift, heal and prevent ailments in your dog naturally. From nutritionally supplements, to massage therapy, this book is full of insights.
5. Feed Your Best Friend Better: Easy, Nutritious Meals and Treats for Dogs by Rick Woodford- Yum! This is the most complete, accessible guide to pet nutrition we’ve found, along with recipes you can try you for yourself, with many things you might have in the pantry. If you don’t like to eat processed foods, why would you want your pet to? Last but not least, this has amazing photos in there too, inspiring us to want to try out the recipes even more.